Tuesday 2 January 2007

2007

"A guid new year tae yin an' aw,
and lang may yer lum reek!!"

For those of you who have never heard this before.....no, your computer has not been scrambled, it is a broad scots greeting oftimes heard at this time of year.
In the Queen's English it means
' A good New Year to one and all,
and may you always have a fire in your hearth.'
[lang=long, lum = chimney, reek=smoke]

I'm sure all the musicians who attend Open mic sessions all over the world will convey the same message, and all be hoping for a good New Year in 2007 themselves.

Perhaps we'll meet some of you in the Clutha Vaults
on Wednesday evenings between 9.00 pm and midnight!

Unfortunately the outdoor Hogmanay celebrations here in Scotland were cancelled due to the very severe weather conditions - for safety reasons - I admit I would not like to be on an outdoor stage in gale force winds and driving rain - pure madness, so the authorities were right this time. However, I believe that many people still went into the towns - and I am sure that many of the city hostelries which were pen had a roaring trade!

I was out last evening [New Years Day evening] at a gig where the Vagabonds were playing and everyone had a superb evening - lots of dancing and singing along!! Unfortunately I forgot my camera again, so sorry no photos.

No comments: