Thursday 22 April 2010

Open Mic Shock!!

I got a shock last night to find that Sandy Watson has given up the Clutha Vaults Wednesday night Open Mic sessions.

I did know that the Vagabonds had dis-banded on the 9th April, but I had thought Sandy would continue with the Open Mic, as it was 'his' session.

I had been late arriving, without Bob Leslie as he is still recovering from a Gall Bladder infection which had him in hospital over the 11th/12th April, and someone called Martin was caretaking last night, but I have never seen him at the regular nights before, and he didn't know some of the more regular people.

He was a good singer, but I had arrived late, and the first person I saw up was a decidedly drunken Dennis - who stumbled through several first verses of songs without getting to second verses, and there was now sign of Martin. Suzie got up with Dennis to sing Peaceful Easy Feeling, and did well to continue singing when Dennis dropped his pick and stopped playing. When she had finished, Dennis stood up and fell over, and was grabbed at the last minute by Suzie, which stopped him from crashing to the floor, with the guitar in his hand!!

Martin arrived back at this point and sang an extremely sad Irish song, during which Andy 'the Candy' Logan arrived with Alec, so Martin got Andy up immediately for a couple of songs [Games people play and Good-hearted Woman] and then Alec joined him on his clarinet - (unfortunately the clarinet and guitar were in slightly different keys which made it slightly grating on the ears). Then Andy finished off with a request for 'St. James Infirmary'.

I had forgotten to pick up my camera on my way out the door this evening, so there are no photos, and I have to admit I left early, for the first time in years, not feeling as if I had been out for the evening at all.

No comments: